Winter always seems to come early to Colorado. At this point in the season, the cold might be getting bothersome, but there is more to come. When the next snowstorm hits, many people rush to shovel their sidewalks and check their furnaces. These are great steps to take to make sure your home is safe, outside and inside.
Along with your other winter maintenance chores, don’t forget about your home’s electrical needs. The low temperatures can put a strain on your electrical system. There are some home electrical safety tips that can help protect your property. Keep on reading for our indoor and outdoor safety tips.
Warning - if you have an electrical emergency, call an electrician who is available 24/7 immediately. Electric Blue inc electricians are always ready to help you out.
Indoor Home Electrical Safety Tips
- Be careful with your space heaters - Don’t run your cord under carpeting or furniture as that creates a trip hazard. Keep it away from wet areas. Make sure not to use an extension cord with a space heater as they can get burned out.
- Keep your electric blankets safe - Make sure to think of these blankets like appliances that require electricity. Don’t fold your blanket when you have it turned on. Make sure the cord is in good working order.
- Maintain your HVAC system - Your HVAC system will get you through the harsh winter weather in comfort. Make sure it can stand up to the elements by having your heating and cooling technician check it out. There are many overlaps between your heating system and your electronics, so Electric Blue may need to stop in to make sure you don’t have any issues in your electronics.
Outdoor Home Electrical Safety Tips
- Give space to downed power lines - Storms can bring down wires all over the place. Winter ice and snowstorms can be even more destructive. Call the power company right away if you see a power line running from a building that has been damaged. Make sure to stay clear of the area.
- Stay safely in your car - Bad weather can bring on bad car accidents. If you get into an accident and hit a power line, pole, or tower, stay safely in your car. As long as there are no visible fires, staying inside will keep you away from shock risks.
Contact the Experts at Electric Blue Inc for Any Winter Electrical Help
Winter is a harsh threat to your electrical and personal safety, but people from Colorado are used to managing in the toughest conditions. If you see something strange in your electrical system or an emergency comes up, get in touch with us right away. We can make sure to have you connected and ready for more action as quickly as possible.
Give our team here at Electric Blue Inc a call today at (303) 872-4323 for electrical help